The NSW rail network plays a vital role in moving everyday goods consumed by households and businesses but noise from freight trains is a major concern for people living close to rail lines.
We are working in partnership with Government, the rail industry and the community to deliver a comprehensive approach to managing rail noise.
Strategic Noise Action Plan
- Reducing noise at its source
- Minimising the impact of freight rail noise on affected residents and other sensitive land uses
- Minimising the impact of increases in rail noise through the implementation of development controls for land adjacent to new and existing rail corridors and facilities.
Find out more:
- Rail Infrastructure Noise Guideline – Environment Protection Authority
- Development Near Rail Corridors and Busy Roads – Interim Guideline – Department of Planning and Environment.
Freight Noise Attenuation Program
The Freight Noise Attenuation Program offers noise reduction treatments to homes affected by high levels of freight rail noise along NSW Government managed rail corridors between Nowra and Newcastle, and west to Lithgow.
Find out more about the Freight Noise Attenuation Program.
Have your say
Information from residents about noisy trains assists in identifying which trains and locations need further investigation. If you would like to discuss rail noise in your area, contact:
Greenline: 1300 656 999
Transport info line: 131500